Happy beautiful fall day!!!
Haha, yes, it has finally arrived here in the southern part of the USA! After months of what seems like never ending heat, we have finally arrived at cooler temperatures!!
This is absolutely my most favorite time of year! I am not sure if it is the signaling of leaves falling, cooler weather, the beautiful autumn colors, longer chilly evenings with campfires, or just all of these combined, but I love fall!
As we leave behind the long, warm summer days, the leaves begin changing on the trees and the days start to become shorter, we too begin to transition internally. When the leaves begin to drop, and trees and plants begin to go dormant for the upcoming winter months, we too can follow with the rhythm of the seasons and go inward. Outwardly, the world becomes more still, and seemingly asleep, but what takes place during these shorter days, longer nights and colder temperatures, is inner growth and nourishment. Deep within the earth, it is now time for the roots, to spread, ground deeper, and soak up nourishment. The energy is now, grounding, nourishing, and directed inwardly. Quietly, our beautiful trees strengthen internally. We can also, become more quiet, reflective, and grow our own inner strength at this time as well, by taking a cue from our beautiful Mother Earth.
Here are a few ways we too can become more still, feed our souls with nourishment, and become more grounded internally.
- Add warming spices to our food and drinks, such as cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, black pepper, cloves, cayenne, and turmeric
- Add warming herbs to your diet like sweet basil, oregano, thyme, and dandelion greens
- Eat grounding or root foods, to feed your roots, and comfort your body. Sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, parsnip, and rutabaga are a few to get you started.
- Spend time meditating, reflecting, reading, journaling, or anything that brings quiet comfort to your soul. Take some time to read that book you have been wanting to read, or start a meditation practice with the intent of focusing your energy inward. Sit on your porch or by the fire, wrapped in a cozy blanket, and day dream of places you want to visit, or long ago happy times, or anything that brings a smile to your face and warmth to your heart.
- Eat soup. Soup is one of the most comforting, warming dishes I can think of on a chilly autumn evening. If you want a more hearty version to warm you, make a stew.
- Cook or bake!!! Yes, get into that kitchen and have fun cooking or baking something. Engage your families, and make it a family night!!! Get creative, try a new dish or desert!!!
- Take a walk in nature! Connect with the trees….yes HUG A TREE lol!!!! If you really feel funny hugging a tree, then just sit or stand leaning against the tree, connecting to its energy.
- Soak yourself or at least your feet if nothing else in a very warm bath filled with sea salt and and essential oils. As your body absorbs in the healing effects, breathe in deeply to nourish your senses too! Eucalyptus is one of my favorite essential oils, especially if you have any type of cold coming on.
- Surround yourself with fall colors, or wear some fall colors.
- Give your garden a much needed fall over hall. After the long summer, trim down any dead plants, work your fingers into the soil feeling the energy of the earth, mulch, rake up leaves, and just give your garden or yard some love. It will return it back to you ten fold!!!
Think of ways you can become more grounded and in tune with your inner self. Take hints from Mother Nature herself!! After all, plants and animal life have been around for 1000’s of years, and they survive from what they know how to instinctively do, so they have much to teach us if we are willing to pay attention and learn!
Much peace and love to all of you, and I would love to hear your ideas on how you connect to the season, so please feel free to comment and share in the links.